Thursday, January 7, 2010

Happy New Year?

On the plane I tried to fight back the tears as I loosened the scarf I had wound tightly around my neck, it smelt like...comforting. I knew and loved that smell. I tried to sleep for most of the journey, tried to forget what I was leaving and perhaps losing.

As I descended the plane I was greeted by snow, the cold wind whipped my face and I pulled the scarf tighter til I could almost taste that familiar scent, I wanted to hold onto it for as long as possible, for in a week it would be gone and maybe forgotten, my first precious gift of the year.

I don't know what it is but now that I am back in La France, I am really looking forward to the next seven months. Maybe it is the challenge of not returning home and really focusing on studying this language, maybe I'm a masochist and I like to be tortured by French children alone in a country house full of caged animals, which when let loose...bite ( far king parrot).

My family should be visiting me next month for my 25th, I have nothing planned....yet They will be staying with me in this fortress, I wonder how that will all pan out.

The rugby player asked me out again for a drink....and somehow I forgot how to say no in French, ah there it is 'non'. I know that soon after my rejection, within three months he will be coupled up with a gf of his own. I feel like 'good luck chuck'. Two of the guys that I rejected last year have started the new year with girlfriends. I am not in the least jealous, in fact, I am rejoicing in the fact that I will not have to ignore another text from them.

I am however wondering when a certain someone will realise that I am the one! I feel so Carrie Bradshaw, but instead of Manhattan, erm I am in a little village not far from Lyon. Perhaps the only thing remotely Carrie Bradshaw about me is my inappropriate shoe collection.

This time last year I was still on my transatlantic jaunt. I should have probably started my blog then with all the things that happened to me last year but hey, there is more to come.

My friends should also be joining me in the month of February, but am I being too pessimistic in expecting most of them to fall out at the last minute. I have already been disappointed by some of my nearest and dearest just days into 2010, but deep within, I think that I half expected it.

Coming back to France, I set myself some targets, visit my friend in Aix, move up from group four to group five (french classes) by March, save save and save some more.

Back at the Institut (where I take French classes) I reunited with my 'friends', we had a lot to talk about, clearly some more than others. One had received the keys to her then'presque petit ami's'(almost boyfriend) flat, now definitely petit ami. One was still undecided between two men and a third had broken up with her boyfriend and decided to start a relationship with a married man. The usual looks of disapproval followed this announcement but there was the lack of a gasp of shock from me. These are the females that I kinda fear (and I am not even married yet). No regard for the sanctity of marriage. She explained that he was not happy in his relationship and was not at all disturbed by the situation. They have planned romantic weekends together even though she 'thinks'that it is just a fling. I could say that I am not one to judge but I am and she has seriously gone down in my estimations. I still cannot fathom how humans hurt each other the way they do. What happened to do unto others as you would have done unto you.

At the house, second day into mon travail (work) I am walking through the snow to the chicken pen. Water bowl in hand, I cringe as I open the door hanging slightly crooked with bits of barbed wire, preventing the chickens from escaping their monotonous life of, crapping and waiting to be fed. How I ended up being the one to accompany the children to feed these creature I don't know as I strongly recall asking J who would be expected to look after their many animals, she told me it was her and the children. I believe I kept that email....should I lay it innocently on her pillow? They have now added a rabbit and another parrot and large dog are soon to arrive. I am feigning allergies if this ish continues.


Thursdays and Fridays are my favourite days, peace and calm in the house as I come home early from classes and am alone to do what I like to do best, nothing! Imagine my despair when I hear that school is cancelled for the children and my only getaway route is not working tomorrow. Thanks a lot snow, like Delilah you're very pretty to look at but perhaps a lot more trouble that you are worth.

5 comments:

  1. catch a breather when you can :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do unto others as you would have them do...perhaps she is doing what she would expect herself...thought the french dont care about marriage anyway...but that is really bad! And I agree with Anonymous...perhaps you should start planning a break...

    ReplyDelete
  3. hmmm, she isn't French and I would say that I see a lot more successful relationships here really, my host parents have been together for over 10 years and they are sickeningly in love, but they work at it.

    about breathe.....J

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hun, this was so beautifully written.

    I agree with you some people have completely lost their sense of empathy. I guess you can only pray that you do not get to the point where you no longer have regard for the feelings of others.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't like feeling guilty and that's all I am saying.

    ReplyDelete