Thursday, December 31, 2009

Noel Noel

I am constantly battling with what or how I think things should be and then find it difficult to cope when the reality actually hits.

December 22nd, with a heavy luggage in hand, black boots that were made for walking (for five minutes) and a black beret on my head, I sat at Lyon airport. Everything had gone smoothly and I was more than excited to be flying home for Christmas, I had even managed to sneak some oversized perfume through security. Easyjet are known for their lateness so, at 9.50pm I wasn’t panicking that we hadn’t been called to board yet the 10.20 flight.

Humming along to John Legend, I heard some groans from other awaiting passengers, I took my earphones out and heard in plain English that our flight had been cancelled due to adverse weather conditions in the London. My worst fear realised, how could this be happening, I mean, I’m a good person, (most of the time) why me?

As I fought back the tears I thought of my dashed plans and all my excitement drained out of me. If my swearing vocabulary had expanded in French, I would have sworn like an English and French sailor. I bit my lip and text my sister, I was more than disappointed but not as disappointed as I was to learn that there were no flights going out the next day and I would have to wait until the 24th. I didn’t want to go back to the house, as everyone knows, I love the family, but I really wanted to be with my own family and friends.

As I lay my head down on the soft hotel sheets I felt irritated, next to me wasn’t the young tall dark and handsome guy of my dreams but a sweet Chinese girl who had decided like me, to fly from Grenoble to London in the morning. Easy jet had got us a free room, and get this breakfast too but they were unwilling to change my flight to fly from another city. I paid over 100eur for this ticket. By 12am 23rd I was nervous and stressed, was my flight going to take off later that day or would Easyjet cancel this flight too.

Funny thing is, I heard that the sun was shining in England………for once.

No comments:

Post a Comment