Thursday, November 5, 2009

You've got to roll with it

The cold concrete felt rough against my right hand and I could feel my skin react as it grazed the hard wall. I was trying to teach myself how to ride a bike, for the very second time in two weeks. 1, 2, 3, 4. I managed (with one hand on the wall) to balance…well that’s a start as I couldn’t really get on the last time. I didn’t much like this bike, it had this foothold thingamajig that made it even more difficult for a beginner to get on. So, I was now balancing, ok, can I roll? I applied pressure to my right foot, then to my left and so it continued…now did I have the courage to let go of the wall?

I didn’t that time but the second time round I did, I was surprised at how easy it was to roll with it (was it Blur or Oasis that sang that?).

I was inspired to make a second attempt at the bike riding thing after a trip to the tennis courts with Coraline, she insisted we take the bikes and their mother was very enthusiastic too, she is keen on Coraline getting as much exercise as possible and I seem to have become her personal trainer.

So off we went to fetch the bikes, I was filled with dread, wtf do I do? Maybe it will be easy. Quick try and get on while her back is turned….unsucessful…ok feign an injury…..no, how long would I have to carry that on for.

As Coraline hopped on, I rolled the bike towards the front gates. ‘Is the bike ok?’ She asked, ‘a little too high' I lied (why do adults hate humility, just tell her you can’t ride the damn thing). She showed me how to adjust it. Hmmm what to do now?

Coraline peddled smoothly down the country lane while I grabbed the handlebars and followed swiftly. There was no way that I was going to roll down that hill. Well not on the bike anyway.

Today, I had an audience, all the animals in the garden were looking at me, even that bloody donkey, they watched with amusement as I did a successful tour of the expansive garden. I felt relieved……I knew that I could do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment